Celebrating Growth, Innovation, and Resilience in Iowa City Area Schools
The 2021 Innovation in Education awards, jointly presented by the Iowa City Area Business Partnership and the Iowa City Area Development Group, honor the educators, students, and classroom programs that model the future of K-12 education, especially in this challenging year.
We are seeking nominations for 8 awards this year. Please nominate as many different individuals and groups as you’d like! Please fill out a separate form for each person or group you’d like to nominate.
- The Student Innovation Award recognizes a student for their achievements and efforts to exceed expectations in their studies during the 2020-21 school year. The ideal candidate demonstrates an innovative mindset (exemplified by starting a new creative or entrepreneurial endeavor or program) as well as a desire to uplift others and change their school community and beyond.
- The Impact Award is given to a school group that embraces three core goals: to inspire, innovate, and achieve. Their pursuit of these first three goals culminate to realize a fourth: IMPACT on teachers, students and their community. This program exceeds all others in its ability to impact students and teachers through inspiring, innovative, exceptional, unprecedented and/or extraordinary program components.
- The Inspire Award is given to a teacher that inspires, excites, and influences students to learn through exceptional, unprecedented or extraordinary programs and/or creates an innovative, future-focused classroom.
- The Spark Award is given to an administrator who goes above and beyond what is expected in order to create a learning environment where all students have a chance to succeed, and all instructors feel the freedom to innovate.
- The Administrative/Support Staff Excellence Award recognizes the exemplary service of a dedicated administrative assistant or employee who fosters a positive learning environment at their school.
- The Volunteer of the Year Award recognizes an individual who has made a significant and lasting impact on a program or classroom by sharing their time or expertise on a regular basis.
- The STEM Innovator Award showcases the creative innovations of a program that facilitates enhanced problem-based teaching and learning. This award specifically focuses on the uniqueness of the “program actions” that promotes teacher innovation, increases student interest and drives performance and/or achievement. Recipients of this award must have completed STEM Innovator training through the University of Iowa Jacobson Institute.
- The Ed Tech Company of the Year Award recognizes an Iowa City area-based education technology company that has demonstrated or facilitated classroom innovation, has supported the growth of the Iowa City area as an education technology hub, and has given back to our community. To qualify, the company must be a member of the Business Partnership or an investor in ICAD Group.
The awards will be presented in a ceremony at the Englert Theatre on Wednesday, April 28th.