MetaDux - Youth Community Leadership Program
MetaDux identifies emerging leaders from an underestimated pool of students to introduce them to our incredible community and helps them develop connections to explore possibilities, foster opportunities, and develop their potential.
Meta: after or beyond, to operate at a higher level, or change
Dux: guide, leader
Applications are open!
High school sophomores can now apply to participate in their junior year (2023 – 2024).
9 SESSIONS IN ACADEMIC YEAR
- Orientation | Make an Impact
- Non-Profits | Helping Others in Our Community
- Economic Development | Business as Usual?
- Education | Passport to the Future
- Arts & Culture | Art Infusion
- Government | Who is Running This Place Anyway?
- Healthcare | Mind and Body Meld
- Environment & Agriculture | Mother Nature’s Family
- Graduation Celebration | The World Is Your Oyster…
Sophomores apply to participate in their junior year.
Students will be expected to be engaged in each session, learn about the community, and develop their confidence and leadership skills. Students will be highly encouraged to create a capstone project that demonstrates what they have learned about and reflect on throughout the course of the year and present at Metadux graduation day in June.
Sessions will be held from 9am to 3pm, at MERGE, on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Lunch and snacks will be provided. We are working on potentially providing parking and bus passes.
Applications open in May and accepted students will be notified the last the week of the school year. The program starts in September of their junior year.
12 – 15 students
There is no cost to students. Local businesses provide sponsorships for students to participate for $300/student. If you’d like to contribute, please donate here.
Attendance is expected at all sessions. We know that life happens, so each participant is allowed one excused absence – anything more than 15 minutes (arriving late, leaving early, etc.) is considered an absence.
- If students need to get to athletic practices or other school sanctioned activities, they can leave early with prior approval from Metadux leaders.
- If have more than one miss or if chronically late (e.g, by 5-10 minutes), it is grounds for dismissal from the program.
In case of inclement weather, we will follow the school district’s cancellation policy.
Community leaders and school approved volunteers; there will be a certified teacher on site for each session.
Transportation can be arranged if the student has barriers to getting to the MetaDux sessions.
Yes, this is an excused absence. However, students will still have to make up the work from missed classes.
There will be occasional off-site field trips and excursions to locations near to/in downtown Iowa City that will be walkable and/or utilize the bus system.